Utada Hikaru comments on her mother's death

August 26, 2013 @ 4:12 pm
On August 26, singer/songwriter Utada Hikaru released an official statement on her mother Fuji Keiko's death.

Utada started by saying, "It seems there have been much speculation going around, so please allow me to say a few things at this time." She revealed that her mother had been suffering from a mental illness for a long time, "I was always troubled about what would be the best for her.

She also reflected, "Since I was a child, I've watched my mother's illness progress. As her symptoms got worse, her distrust for people, including family, increased. She became unclear of the difference between reality and fantasy, and lost control over her feelings and actions. I was just tossed around, unable to do anything."

SEE ALSO: Enka singer Fuji Keiko passes away of apparent suicide

Regarding her mother's sudden death, Utada expressed, "While I hope that she has been released from her longtime suffering, I feel sadness and regret by her final actions."

On her mother before her death, she commented, "She was often misunderstood but... although she was very timid, she was strong spirited, filled with a sense of justice, loved to laugh, mentally quick, impulsive and dangerous like a child, scatterbrained that you couldn't leave her alone, and a very lovely person. Although there are many sad memories, when I think about my mother, I recall her laughing." She wrapped it up with, "I am proud to be my mother's daughter. I am filled with gratitude that I was able to meet her.

Finally, Utada thanked her fans saying, "I've received many heart-warming words. I realized that there are many people supporting me. Thank you very much."

Source: Oricon

Comments

· Posted February 24, 2014 @ 9:15 pm

Poor Hikki, stay strong!

· Posted August 29, 2013 @ 5:34 am

Condolences to Hikki... :(

Stay strong!!

· Posted August 27, 2013 @ 10:24 am

Condolences to you ;(

· Posted August 27, 2013 @ 6:14 am

so any idea what the long-term illness was?

la_mariposa21
· Posted August 27, 2013 @ 4:35 pm
To me based on what Utada is describing it could be either schizophrenia or dementia. What she has described to me sounds a lot like what I have learned in my classes. This is purely speculation on my part ( I don't want ppl to misunderstand).
la_mariposa21
· Posted August 27, 2013 @ 4:36 pm
@la-mariposa21 *What she has described here (not to me sorry lol XD)

· Posted August 27, 2013 @ 1:47 am

awww  R.I.P. Fuji Keiko

utada we will always be here

· Posted August 27, 2013 @ 1:47 am

awww  R.I.P. Fuji Keiko

utada we will always be here

· Posted August 27, 2013 @ 12:01 am

My condolences to you, Hikki.  :(  At least your mother doesn't have to suffer through hardships anymore.

· Posted August 26, 2013 @ 10:23 pm

Utada get well Soon :D

· Posted August 26, 2013 @ 8:12 pm

My sincerest condolences to you, Utada. Your mother is now in a better place. I'm so glad becasue of the way you think about your mother and her situation. May she rest in peace.

· Posted August 26, 2013 @ 5:34 pm
Ne is clear from the first that was because her ex husband.
I hate those lies when you do not know the truth!

One should only publish what if the persons concerned have even told what to!

The arms Hikaru.
You'm so sorry.

I share with her ​​fate.
My father died two years ago of liver cancer.
I can understand how it is when you have to watch
how the condition of a family member just in
Parent deteriorate. I will never cope with it
he can no longer there.

I hope now Hikaru is not left alone in the case
and supported by all her family.

· Posted August 26, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

Utada my sincerest condolences. You are such a strong woman. You will get through this. RIP to your mom. May she finally be at peace.