Concerts / Events

AKB48's Kawaei Rina and Iriyama Anna slashed at a handshake event in Iwate

May 25, 2014 @ 8:51 am
It was reported that there was an injury case during AKB48's handshake event held at Iwate Industrial Culture Center Apio on May 25, and members Kawaei RinaIriyama Anna, and a staff member were injured.

SEE ALSO: AKB48's General Election canceled due to bad weather in Okinawa

According to the source, all three individuals injured on their hands, and transported to a hospital. It is unknown how serious their injuries are, but they are all conscious, and it does not seem to be life-threatening.

The sponsor explained it was around 5:00 pm when they called police and stated that 'a man with an edged tool went on a rampage.'

Iwate Prefectural Police arrested the man on suspicion of attempted murder, and they said, "The man suddenly attacked them with a saw." According to NHK's report, it was a 24-year-old man from Towada, Iwate, and he accepted the charge.

The handshake event began at 1:00 pm, and many members were in attendance. However, they did not make a possession check of visitors during their entrance.

Source & Image: Nikkan Sports
Thanks to everybody who sent the tip in.

Comments

· Posted June 1, 2014 @ 5:40 pm

Oh my God! What a lunatic!

· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 4:32 pm

I'm here because the forum is down

ygbigbang
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 7:17 pm
Hi
doge
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 10:32 pm
me too
tvxqcsjhthegrace
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 5:50 pm
i keep meeting you every where hehehe
hallyustan
· Posted May 30, 2014 @ 7:35 pm
Hello.

· Posted May 27, 2014 @ 11:39 pm

Now that's just scary as heck. Was there not any proper security at the place?

· Posted May 27, 2014 @ 9:25 pm

I'm not a fan of AKB48, kinda hate them, but I hope they recover properly and receive rest!

· Posted May 26, 2014 @ 7:32 pm

Annin!!! Kawaei!!

Please get better soon. All my best wishes! tbqh tho, I was waiting to hear of a freak accident like this. The girls are so vulnerable. It's great that they do handshake events, as it makes them unique, but sometimes... they can get hurt. ;'* I'm so glad it's not serious. It actually pained me to read this as Annin is my ultimate bias. <33

· Posted May 26, 2014 @ 4:41 pm

Wow, what a way to downplay the attack. "Injury case?"  This is a terrible event and something that will traumatize the young girls for a long. Hopefully, the agency will take care of these girls and not discard them after they've recovered because they're somehow not "perfect" anymore.

· Posted May 26, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

Why would someone even think about attacking such lovely girls? It doesn't even make sense... Hope they give that nut a one way ticket to the funny farm.

· Posted May 26, 2014 @ 2:06 am

New statement from the culprit, "It didn't matter who I attacked"

(http : //i . imgur . com/dRicpJX . jpg)

Fcker can burn

· Posted May 26, 2014 @ 1:00 am

How the hell did he get there?!?! How was he even allowed???

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

So, how did they not see the saw when they let him in? It's a pretty big weapon. Or did he just barge in and run past everyone? Even so, seems like a late reaction.

whippersnapper
· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 11:30 pm
My thoughts exactly. Those minders should've reacted sooner. In Japan people aren't surprised this happened. Theyre only surprised it didn't happen sooner.
mochichan
· Posted May 26, 2014 @ 2:04 am
From TGSK, 48G theater manager, G+. Look like they took his bag but didn't pat him down and he sneaked it inside his jacket Togasaki's G+ (2014.05.26 9:15 am): [...] As for the incident itself, it has already been circulating in the news, but at lane 6, where Iriyama Anna and Kawaei Rina were, the perpetrator, whose hands were empty, suddenly, when in front of Iriyama and Kawaei, pulled out a weapon out of his jumper and started slashing both of them. A nearby member of the staff grabbed the weapon the perpetrator was brandishing with his bare hands, wanting to protect the members, but the perpetrator shook that grip off and attacked Kawaei and Iriyama. He proceeded to injure both Kawaei and Iriyama's hand and head, he injured the member of the staff, who tried to protect them imperiling his own body, at his hand. After they were transported to a hospital, the doctors interacted with them appropriately and they performed surgery, they are fully conscious, please do not worry.
findtheakarun
· Posted May 26, 2014 @ 3:37 pm
@mochichan Ahh, so that's it. On that note, this article is seriously lacking information. :P I'm glad they're okay, though. These girls are quite brave to put themselves in danger like this for the sake of their fans. It was clear that eventually a hater would take it too far, we just didn't know when. Hopefully it won't happen again.
whippersnapper
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 5:27 pm
@findtheakarun It's not like in the US where information comes out quickly in cases like this. Japan seems to be more private. They only reveal the bare minimum. Have they even done an animated dramatization? Anna got cut on her head. Does that include her face? Is there disfigurement? Will this impact their future in the industry after they recover? You know, stuff like that.

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 5:38 pm

I am absolutely shocked.

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 3:48 pm

Wow. It finally happened. I heard stories of attacks by crazies at voice actor events, and other similar events, but I never heard of it spilling over into idol events. Maybe it's happened before, but I hadn't heard of it. It's definitely the first AKB attack though.

They are quick to point out he's not a fan. I bet it's because the "crazier" fans give the regular fan a bit of a bad reputation/stigma. You know the type of fan I'm talking about. The oddballs that will buy 1,000+ CDs, make odd comments at events, or make inappropriate moves on the hapless girls.

Now I see why they have those burly guys at the events. Speaking of which, where were those guy when this happened? Shouldn't they have lunged at the guy and had him on the floor the second he twitched suspiciously? I don't know the details of the incident beyond what I read in this article, so I'm sorry if they took action and I put them down wrongfully.

mochichan
· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 5:06 pm
No one is is "quick to point out" sh*t. In cases of attacks, media always ask about the connection the attacker have. And even the hardcore ones wouldn't physically hurt their own oshis. One of the staff was injured because he tried to protect the girl. That's where they were. If he wasn't there then they would be worst so at least appreciate what he done. They were simply caught off guard, do you expect a person to go up to you with a saw when you wake up in the morning?
mochichan
· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 5:17 pm
@mochichan BTW IDGAF about fandom image when the girls are hurt. It's good he's not a fan because these girls might end up suspicious and scared of their own fans. It's better if he's just some random crazy.

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 2:59 pm

More info from ANN. Doesn't seem like he's a fan probably just crazy

Umeta's mother responded to press inquiries on Sunday night, saying that he did a terrible thing, and that it is appropriate that she apologize. When asked about whether or not he was a fan of AKB48, she said she never saw anything like CDs or handshake event tickets in the house.

Umeta lives with his mother and three older brothers. He held several part-time jobs in Towada since graduating high school, and quit the most recent one in December. He has since been unemployed with shut-in tendencies.

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 1:36 pm

omg

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 1:21 pm

I admit I am an akbhater but this is too much. what's wrong with the world these days? if you gotta hate, do it somewhere else. don't physically hurt the girls.

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

The guy brought a freaking Nokogiri saw. I'm just going to assume he snapped or isn't stable rather than just your average hater. News report he's 24 and unemploy. Either way it's something that's going to happen sooner or later. These HS events make these girls way too accessible.  This whole mess is reminding me of the John Lennon case. It have nothing to do with them being idols but a lot of stars have those messed up fans and HS events make it easy for those to meet the girls. Btw some fan account of a fan, wen48, who was there. I can't believe some of the shit I'm reading online now about the incident. There's so many people who are blaming everything but the dude.

It's NOT the staff/management fault for the knife incident. Metal detector? Have you seen an AKB48 handshake event? Will our phones make thru the detectors? What about our bags? Just like the stabbing incident in Taiwan(?) is it the fault of the government for not doing metal detectors at train stations? Don't tell me that's not comparable because the amount of people at an AKB handshake amounts to a train station amount of people at any one time or even more.

Staff member/s is/are hurt. Is that not enough protection for our girls? Yes that this freak incident is crazy but innocent staff is hurt too. They tried to protect the girls. The dude has to whip out the knife last minute because fuck, that lane is flooded w people. Anything suspicious will be spoken out by fans or staff anyway. There's checks along the way and to pull shit off, he has to hide it somewhere in his bag till the very last minute.

Are you guys even fucking there at the handshake? Do you know what a handshake usually is like? Do you actually know what happen when the staff tried their best to help the girls and the fans? Did you see them in blood? Let me tell you, I DID.

I SAW MY GIRLS RUNNING OUT IN BLOOD. I SAW KAWAEI COLLAPSE IN FRONT OF ME. I SAW GIRLS WITH BLOOD ON THEM IN FRONT OF ME. I SAW THEM CRYING, HEARD THEM SCREAMING WITH NO ONE IN BETWEEN ME AND THEM EXCEPT FCKING BARRICADES.

And I also saw how fast the staff reacted to help the girls out and away. I saw how the members ran out with Miichan helping the girls in her lane to get to backstage. I saw how she had to go from one girl to the other to make sure all is fine and to console them while they cry and freak out. I saw how the teru teru bozu girls on the other side not know what happened and were happily skipping back before Ami and Fujita face changes to horror when they see their friends screaming. I saw how the staff quickly ushered them into the backstage just so they won't see that blood stains on the floor where the girls collapsed earlier. I saw how they tried not to tell the girls yet of what happened since they didn't know but the look of horror on Hirari face made me tell it to her and she quickly ran, steering Yukarun away from the lanes.

Management blaming has to fucking stop. Please concentrate on praying for the injured girls. Please concentrate on sending good thoughts to the members. Please concentrate in hoping that all affected members, physically or mentally, be fine. They still have handshakes. They still have concerts. They need all your prayers. Please stop sending all the negative feelings and concentrate on sending good ones.

Thank you.

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 12:37 pm

I hope those two (and the staff member who bravely tried to protect them) will recover soon! This is just messed up...

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 12:03 pm

woah, wtf...

It's awful that it happened, but luckily, there wasn't a much more worse outcome for those girls.

In the future, I'm sure they will enforce stricter rules and extra security (if they plan on doing another handshake event).

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 11:25 am

talk about crazy . . . some ppl need to seriously calm down

· Posted May 25, 2014 @ 11:25 am

Iriyama Anna also has an injury on her head and her right arm too.it was confirmed she went to do surgery to heal her injuries but she is fine now.