'The Great Gatsby' was the most successful film of the weekend in Japan. It's Leonardo DiCaprio's second 1st place at the Japanese box office chart since 'Inception'. The opening weekend was good enough to open a path to the 1 billion Yen mark.
'G.I. Joe: Retaliation' dropped down to 2nd place and continued Hollywood's takeover of the 1st and 2nd place in the chart. The Japanese tearjerker 'Kiseki no Ringo' didn't sway much on its second weekend and defended its 3rd place.
In 5th place opened the Japanese comedy 'Ore wa Mada Honki Dashite nai Dake' starring Tsutsumi Shinichi with some adequate numbers. Meanwhile, 'Kuroyuri Danchi' is on its way of cracking the 1 billion Yen mark very soon.
The Japanese movie adaptation of David Gordon's novel 'The Serialist' starring Kamikawa Takaya also managed to enter the chart in 8th place on its opening weekend.
Don't forget to check out the trailers of all the new Japanese films below the box office chart!
Japan Box Office Chart – June 15th/16th
01 (00) The Great Gatsby (Weeks: 01)
02 (01) G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Weeks: 02)
03 (03) Kiseki no Ringo (Weeks: 02)
04 (02) Oblivion (Weeks: 03)
05 (00) Ore wa Mada Honki Dashite nai Dake (Weeks: 01)
06 (04) Kuroyuri Danchi (Weeks: 05)
07 (05) Olympus Has Fallen (Weeks: 02)
08 (00) Niryu Shosetsuka - The Serialist (Weeks: 01)
09 (06) Real - Kanzen Naru Kubinagaryu no Hi (Weeks: 03)
10 (07) Meitantei Conan: Zekkai no Private Eye (Weeks: 09)
(Note: The ranking is not based on the revenue, but the number of sold tickets!)
#Opening Results (Saturday & Sunday only)
- 'The Great Gatsby' - viewers: 113,172 (571 screens) & revenue: 161,833,900 Yen (1,696,666 USD)
- 'Ore wa Mada' - viewers: 50,846 (147 screens) & revenue: 68,030,500 Yen (713,231 USD)
- 'The Serialist' - viewers: 25,469 (172 screens) & revenue: 32,597,800 Yen (341,755 USD)
- 'The Great Gatsby' (3 days) - viewers: 151,556 & revenue: 208,330,900 Yen (2,184,141 USD)
- 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation' - viewers: 410,502 & revenue: 576,049,100 Yen (6,039,298 USD)
- 'Kiseki no Ringo' - viewers: 365,461 & revenue: 413,174,700 Yen (4,331,723 USD)
- 'Kuroyuri Danchi' - viewers: 662,939 & revenue: 819,928,350 Yen (8,596,128 USD)
- 'Real' - viewers: 273,916 & revenue: 325,766,850 Yen (3,415,339 USD)
- 'Meitantei Conan' - viewers: 2,947,174 & revenue: 3,547,673,450 Yen (37,193,808 USD)
Trailers of all Japanese films that opened this weekend:
Ore wa Mada Honki Dashite nai Dake
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Cast: Tsutsumi Shinichi, Hashimoto Ai, Namase Katsuhisa, Yamada Takayuki, Hamada Gaku, Mizuno Miki, and more...
Niryu Shosetsuka - The Serialist
Genre: Suspense, Mystery
Cast: Kamikawa Takaya, Katase Nana, Hirayama Aya, Koike Rina, Kurotani Tomoka, Kaku Chikako, and more...
Genre: Youth Drama, Horror
Cast: Kawaguchi Haruna, Hirose Alice, Matsuoka Mayu, Kurihara Louis, Haru, Yamamoto Mizuki, and more...
Tooku de Zutto Soba ni Iru
Genre: Romance, Mystery, Drama
Cast: Kurashina Kana, Nakano Yuta, Kana, Shimizu Kurumi, Oma Jiro, Asakura Erika, and more...
Genre: Human Drama
Cast: Aoyagi Sho, Tanaka Kei, Sasaki Nozomi, and more...
Kizuna ~ Ajii Shi no Aji
Genre: Human Drama
Cast: Sato Takahiro, Ono Marie, Shiga Keijiro, Nasubi, Takahashi Tsutomu, and more...
Hikinzobu no Yoru - Nonmetal Night
Genre: Youth/Human Drama
Cast: Tsukamoto Airi, Akiyama Shintaro, and more...
Figure na Anata
Genre: Erotic, Romance [Rated R18+]
Cast: Emoto Tasuku, Sasaki Kokone, and more...
Mongol Yakyu Seishun Ki
Genre: Youth Drama
Cast: Ishida Takuya, and more...