Music Releases

Meet new chubby girl idol group Pottya!

January 17, 2015 @ 2:39 am

New idol group Pottya, formed with a "chubby girl" concept, held their debut press conference on January 15 at LIVE GATE TOKYO.

Pottya is a 5-member idol group comprised of members Oki Risa, Indo Maiko, Yokokawa Mai, Tsukada Emi, and Ohashi Michiko. A total of 2,141 girls auditioned for the part. The group has an average weight of 76 kg (167.2 lbs) and combined weight of 380 kg (836 lbs). During the press conference, it was announced that the girls will make their major debut under For Life Music Entertainment. They also performed their debut song "Po?Po?Po?Pocha Rinko?" for the very first time.

In front of reporters, the members declared, "We can't be idols if we're not slim? In order to destroy those doubts, us chubby girls came together and formed an idol unit. While aiming to become orthodox idols who can sing and dance, we want to give dreams to chubby girls.  There are so many things that we want to do, such as holding lives, livening up food festivals, and appearing in dramas. In order to do that, we want many people to come to know us. Everyone, please support us!"

"Po?Po?Po?Pocha Rinko?" will be released as a digital single on January 28. You can take a look at its short PV below.

SEE ALSO: Chubby girl idol group Pottya disbands

[Po?Po?Po?Pocha Rinko?]

Oki Risa

Indo Maiko

Yokokawa Mai

Tsukada Emi

Ohashi Michiko

Source & Image(s): natalie

Comments

· Posted February 4, 2015 @ 12:50 am

I was hoping for maybe a husky voiced girl but sadly no. Oh well! I like their concept that an idol's talent is greater than their size! But this song wasn't the strong debut I was hoping for....I will support them and hope they receive love! Pottya *insert Japanese equivalent to "fighting"*!!!!

· Posted January 27, 2015 @ 6:51 am

This is so cute! Haha!

· Posted January 23, 2015 @ 6:32 am

Hmm.. well, we all know that most people prefer skinny girls than chubby ones. Knowing this, the agency should have given them a debut song that showcases their talents, and not the 'cutesy' act.  Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful, and I know that they are all talented (after all, they got scouted, right?). But society doesn't really see beyond what the eyes see, and unfortunately they don't really buy this image.  Maybe it should have been better to let these girls catch the people off-guard and amaze them with their skills.  I mean, let them have a fan base first, man! Debuting like this... I don't know. It's like the agency's letting them out into the wild without anything to fend themselves with.

· Posted January 23, 2015 @ 4:18 am

Epic Fail. What they needed to do was get a bunch of pretty 'girls next door' that aren't size 2, but aren't chubby or fat. In short hotties that don't look anorexic like Tomochin. With 5 members they could've went from the skinny, but healthy looking girl, to the full figured girl w/o getting into chubby/fat territory.  That would've worked. They could've appealed to many girls who are tired of trying to live up to unrealistic/unachievable body images.  I believe a movements been going on in the states about this for a few years now.

· Posted January 20, 2015 @ 2:41 pm

It's a fetish group. To actually be a girl group that celebrates girls for who they are, they need to not focus on, "are they skinny" or "are they fat." They just need to focus on girls of all sizes who are talented. Period. Anything else is just a money ploy and a fetishist wet dream.

· Posted January 18, 2015 @ 5:52 pm

No problem with this group, nice to see them go after different demographics and not another sub 14 year old girl "idol" group. Already is another group like this under Avex so I guess its going to be a thing. Wish the group all the best for not being cookie cutter.

· Posted January 18, 2015 @ 1:24 pm

the only reason this worries me is because of that k-group piggy dolls, they had the same "concept" and it seemed fine but then when they didn't get recognition for their concept or talent, the company told them to lose weight or disband :/

· Posted January 18, 2015 @ 7:25 am

Discrimination against fat people is disgusting, however, celebrating being fat and chubby is way worse than that.

Next thing you know the agency will announce that they have collectively break 400kg and had won a trip to hawaii.

a_l_p_h_a
· Posted January 18, 2015 @ 1:23 pm
you sound like such an asshole

· Posted January 18, 2015 @ 5:22 am

I love this

The song is is so good

They are really talented

I'm glad that Japan is opening to more chubbier people for music

· Posted January 17, 2015 @ 9:29 pm

It's good that Japan is promoting another kind of group other then type girl group. This might not be popular idea but it's something that's new.

· Posted January 17, 2015 @ 11:33 am

Sorry but...there will always be a preference for slim people instead of chubby in the entertainment world. It has always been like that and always will be.

risakoloving
· Posted January 17, 2015 @ 12:07 pm
yeah I gotta agree. I mean as much as i want to support this for their sake... I just can't if I'm not being totally honest about it. but I wish them the best of luck of what they're going to go through in the future.
Nayeli
· Posted January 17, 2015 @ 9:22 pm
Well you guys sure aren't helping to make any change with that attitude though. They're already getting lots of hate on youtube, so you could help by taking like 30secs of your time and like their video and add a nice comment. You're right, if everyone thinks like you two, it's never going to change.
royalsooyeon
· Posted January 17, 2015 @ 9:45 pm
@Nayeli Totally agreed, MangoLover and risakoloving are just making the issue worse with how they're addressing these girls. I hope they go far!
risakoloving
· Posted January 18, 2015 @ 6:21 am
@Nayeli you don't really have to worry about hate, coz I don't got those for the girls. I've already wish them the best of luck, what more do you want? I'm just stating my opinion.