AKB48's Shinoda Mariko announces her graduation from the group next month

June 8, 2013 @ 8:19 am

During the event for the vote count results for AKB48 32nd Single Senbatsu General Election, AKB48 team A captain Shinoda Mariko, who ranked in 5th place in the election, announced that she would be graduating from the group. She made the surprise announcement during her speech.

According to Shinoda, her graduation will be next month after the group's live concert at the Fukuoka Yafuoku! Dome as she wanted to graduate in her hometown of Fukuoka.

Image: Oricon

Comments

· Posted July 4, 2013 @ 12:48 am

I know is been a month since this announcement, but I just found out about this and I'm in shock. Mariko is one of those people you would never thought she will graduate from AKB, at least not anytime soon, so I don't know what to think. I simply wish her the best in the future.

· Posted June 15, 2013 @ 8:30 am

I'm waiting! I love these girls! I like the album cover

· Posted June 14, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

Understandable decision. She's a bit too old to shake her bodyparts in a girlgroup... :D

· Posted June 12, 2013 @ 8:44 am

xuxu Mariko-sama T.T wish you everything best with your future activities, we'll miss you

· Posted June 10, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

that she'll be leaving the group.one of the original girls i loved akb for was her (the three musketers/sisters) .... but then im also  for her, she can now contnue/ pursue on her own

· Posted June 10, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

While it'll be sad to see Mariko go clearly youre missing the Good Points!:

#1) she'll be allowed to Date (No Scandals!)

#2) She can focus on more Fashion (Internationally!!) maybe get her own TV gig as a fashion expert or judge stuff?

#3) Solo career & TV & Movies that are not AKB sanctioned!

#4) Philantropic & Charity pursuits - become a Japanese rep for High Profile companies

#5) She had 20 commercials (the most out of ANY other AKB member according to Tokyo Hive) in 2012 - clearly she's not leaving the Biz anytime soon.

#6) Her grad makes my Paruru's ascension into Kami7 easier next year (Wait, did I just type that?)

In ALL Seriousness...I've always liked Mariko - she's a cute lady & she doesn't take crap (even from the guys on AKBingo) - Clearly she is ready for bigger & better things than AKB at this point! She's 20 something she needs to grow & date & marry & whatever else Japanese ladies want.  She'll always be the BEST 1.5 Gen member ever!!

· Posted June 10, 2013 @ 7:58 am

I had the feeling when watching the election that someone was going to announce their graduation... I just didn't expect it to be Mariko. Oh well, she has a bright future ahead of her, possibly the brightest out of any other member. Good luck, Mariko!

· Posted June 10, 2013 @ 1:49 am

She announced her graduation at the right place and right time. I'm just glad that she stayed in AKB for this long and all of us global AKB48 fans got to witness her announcement worldwide now that her group is at its peak. Best of wishes for her! I know she will still be successful without AKB48.

· Posted June 9, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

I expected this to happen last year, I'm very happy Mariko-sama kept going until now. She was one amazing idol that I had a lot of fun and laughs following. When she writes her autobiography the title should be 'By Popular Demand'

· Posted June 9, 2013 @ 1:07 pm

We all knew this time would come :(
Thanks for everything Mariko-sama!  AKB will be different without you.

· Posted June 9, 2013 @ 8:07 am

im so sad about her annoucement.. but her time has come and she's also 27 ,  so much for the idol group.. :((

· Posted June 9, 2013 @ 2:37 am

i kinda knew mariko would graduate this year... but this is still sad :( i like mariko sama and this means more of the old generation member graduate :( but does this means she won't be in the new single?? but she's got #5 rank??!!

· Posted June 9, 2013 @ 2:02 am

Dont hate her or anything but this was long overdue... She hasnt really been involved in anything akb related besides the major singles for a while now and she is the oldest member by a long shot... It was bound to happen and i predict that all the 1st gen will at least announce graduations this year except for maybe Soukanto Takamina

· Posted June 8, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

I already expected this but..."hearing" about this is still sad. T_T Still I will always support her and the AKB members!

· Posted June 8, 2013 @ 5:33 pm

This really shocked me DX I love mariko and I dont want her to go...it just seems like after Acchan left all of the senbatsu members are starting to leave. But since she's graduating next month does that mean she won't be participating in the senbatsu single ?

· Posted June 8, 2013 @ 5:07 pm

We will miss you :(

Ue Kara Mariko forever

· Posted June 8, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

I know that some of us absolutely hate to see her go next month but we can all wish her the best of luck on what lies ahead for her in the future.  We will dearly miss Shinoda

· Posted June 8, 2013 @ 2:17 pm

Wishing her the very best in all her future activities.

· Posted June 8, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

Hell no... I can't deal with this!

· Posted June 8, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

I think fans of Mariko-sama would understand her decision to graduate.

Most of them voted because they love her but they even more fired up this year because of her speech from last election. They don't want her to lose to the new gens. And she didn't. Why not graduate while she is still at the top?

Plus her graduation was imminent because of her age. All her fans know it because she was busier this year because of ricori and she didn't update her blog as frequently any more. Also no one can argue against her wish to graduate at her hometown. How many Fukuoka Dome tours can AKB48 have? This is the perfect timing and as a Mariko-oshi, I fully support her decision.

Maybe for some fans it's a slap to the face, but I prefer to treat the votes for Mariko as a great farewell present.