Arashi tops "Total Sales" & "DVD Sales" categories in Oricon's first half of 2013 ranking

June 21, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

Popular group Arashi dominated the "Total Sales by artist" and "DVD sales" categories of Oricon's "first half of 2013 ranking."

This "Total Sales by artist" is the ranking of artists who have the highest amount of the total sales in CDs (both singles and albums), DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs.

This is the first time in 3 years for Arashi to top this category since they last topped it back in 2010 with a total sales figure of 8.43 billion yen (approximately $86,213,610 USD). In the first half of 2013, Arashi has already exceeded a sales figure of 10 billion (approximately $102,227,000 USD) yen on the strength of the hits of their singles as well as the music DVDs.

Behind Arashi was AKB48 who ranked in 2nd place with sales figure of 6.86 billion yen (approximately $70,157,220 USD). Momoiro Clover Z who was ranked in 3rd place, is worthy of special mention, as they made a big leap from 18th place during the same period last year.

Momoiro Clover Z's total sales for the first half of this year reached 3.92 billion yen (approximately $40,089,840 USD) which is 3.6 times more than in 2012, and it allowed them to grab a spot in the top 3 ranking for the very first time.

For the "DVD Sales" category, Arashi dominated first and second place with "ARASHI ARAFES" (released in December 2012, sold 786,000 copies) and "ARASHI LIVE TOUR Popcorn" (released in April, sold 681,000 copies) respectively.

Moreover, the total number of copies sold for the "ARASHI ARAFES" set an all-time record for the first half of a year, breaking their own record of 785,000 copies which they achieved with "ARASHI 10-11 TOUR 'Scene' ~Kimi to Boku no Miteiru Fuukei~ STADIUM" back in 2011. Also, their total number of copies sold for music DVD for the first half of a year of 1,523,000 copies, is also a new all-time record which once again broke their own record of 1,015,000 copies.

Below is the TOP5 of "Total Sales by Artist" ranking.

=====

Ranking
Artist
Total Sales
Total combined figure of Singles + Albums + music DVDs + Music Blu-ray discs Sold
1Arashi
1,129,000 copies
Kanjani8
2.55 billion yen
665,000 copies

=====

Source & Image: Oricon

Thanks to Jay & Nana for the tip!

Comments

· Posted June 25, 2013 @ 1:17 am

omg so freakin' proud :)))

Arashi topnotched again :">
Proud of the other Johnny's too ♥

· Posted June 23, 2013 @ 5:39 pm

Momoclo's number is wrong. not 1,868,000 copies but 868,000 copies

· Posted June 23, 2013 @ 11:26 am

Nice.

Congratz Arashi

· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 5:01 pm

Congratulations, Arashi and AKB48! I am so proud of you guys!

· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

congrats Arashi and AKB48!! :D

· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

Arashi, AKB and Momoclo.

· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 9:47 am

Congratulations ARASHI! You will always be number 1 in my heart <3333 no matter what :D

· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 8:11 am

wow wee~! Gratz arashi!!!
And 3rd place for momoiro clover, that's pretty impressive.. O.O

· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 4:50 am

Congratulations to Arashi! I am really happy for them. Though I have to admit that I was pretty surprised that they beat AKB48 in total sales. It's great to see them in the first place again ^^

· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 2:35 am

Momoclo sold 868,000 coopies not above a million, they have the best earning:copies ratio there because of their blu ray releases. Congrats to all.

· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 1:49 am

Congrats to Arashi, AKB and Momoiro Clover.

But there's one mystery that has been bothering me.. On why Arashi's dvd sells better than their singles? My conclusion is that some fans prefer to watch them doing their live.

manatsu
· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 4:20 am
I agree it is fun to watch them live since they do some crazy/unique stuffs. AKB uta gassen is also fun to watch but it is just like a variety show not totally a concert so only few will buy that
AMNOS
· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 4:58 am
for dvds. there are alot of ppl who don't get to go to concerts beause they just don't win in those lotteries. so one reason they sell alot is because they feel like they were in the concert. I remember there were fans talking about the dvds they said they are Really Important XD

· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 1:15 am

I think there is something wrong in this post, how come Arashi could beat AKB48 in Total sale if their Total Sales combine figures is 3,022,000 copies while AKB48 Total Sales combine figures is 3,582,000 copies I think AKB figures should be place on Arashi figures

buttercupmelon
· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 1:33 am
No this is correct. Arashi sell tons of DVD which costs around 5000 yen or more while AKB sell more singles which price is only around 2000 yen or less So go figure, of course Arashi will earn more despite selling less/
manatsu
· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 1:36 am
@buttercupmelon I see thanks for the info Arashi's DVD cost more ^_^

· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 12:29 am

Ureshii!!! I'm so happy... finally Arashi returned to the 1st place. Hope they will release a new single. Last year they only had three singles T_T.. although Arafes, Popcorn and 24jikan terebi must have been hard work ...

But... I'm still wondering why can't their singles pass the million sells.. I mean, not even A.Ra.Shi which was released more than 10 years ago ... I became a fan last year, but i have found out that they have more than one million fans only in Japan... if we add the fans all over the world, then why can't they reach the million... well, guess fans like more DVD after all xDDD ... Arashi's concerts are awsome...  I have to prepare my wallet for the next goods ...

Omedetou Arashi!!! kore kara mo... ganbatte kudasai...

jieul
· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 7:56 am
They have around 1.5 million people in their fan club in Japan so you would expect them to sell a million, but I think the fans are after the concert tickets most of all. They probably download the singles and stuff since they're just after the concert tickets.

· Posted June 21, 2013 @ 10:01 pm

Woah. Arashi beat AKB48 in total sales?! ; u ; I'm super happy. c: I really enjoyed ARAFES and Popcorn, they were such great concerts. Now I'm wishing to actually attend those concerts. D:

· Posted June 21, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

Congratulations, Arashi!!! You deserved it! ♥

· Posted June 21, 2013 @ 9:04 pm

Congrats Arashi, Kisumai and Kanjani8 [JE Family]

· Posted June 21, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

Eventhough AKB got #2 im proud of them  Success needs continuous efforts, Arashi debuted first than AKB48, and their first single sold over 973k copies till now. So it's hard to overtake them since Arashi already had a name. But reached #2 is quite enough. Doryouku wa kanarazu mukuwareru, keep up the good work AKB!

AMNOS
· Posted June 22, 2013 @ 5:08 am
arashi debuting first wasn't the reason they got #1 even last year AKB overtook arashi. It's what they put out and how much it sold. and even tho they sold that much for their first single because they got hyped up. that hype went down not so long and were even belittled in the idol industry. saying stuff like they are no typical idol group. and such because idols were only showing their cool side back then etc

· Posted June 21, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

The DVD category has always been dominated by Arashi, but I didn't expect they would beat AKB48 in total sales. O_O
Congratulations to Arashi to finally comeback to top! ^^

· Posted June 21, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

Wow they beat AKB48. Congratulation Arashi!

· Posted June 21, 2013 @ 7:24 pm