Concerts / Events

Shinoda Mariko graduates from AKB48 with smiles and tears

July 22, 2013 @ 2:39 pm
On July 22, the graduation performance for AKB48 member Shinoda Mariko was held at AKB48 theater in Akihabara, Tokyo. With this performance, Shinoda ended her 7 and a half years as a member of AKB48.

SEE ALSO: AKB48's Kizaki Yuria and Kashiwagi Yuki appear at event for Japanese Red Cross

As it was Shinoda's final performance, applications for the viewing flooded in, and the lucky 250 fans who were elected, sent her their support until their voices became hoarse.

Yokoyama Yui who Shinoda appointed as the next team A captain, made a comment while looking back the memories with Shinoda, "I would like to make a team that Shinoda-san would think it was a right decision to appoint me. I will make the new Yokoyama team A while succeeding Shinoda team A, but please allow me to depend on you just today."

Along with the team A members including Takahashi Minami, other 1st generation members like Kojima Haruna, Itano Tomomi, and Minegishi Minami, as well as team K's Oshima Yuko showed up on the stage for the encore.

When they were about to perform Shinoda's graduation song "Namida no Seijanai", Takahashi could not sing the beginning part since she started shedding tears, and it also made Shinoda weep in sympathy. After the performance, Takahashi apologized to the audience, saying, "Sorry, it was all because I started crying.", and Kojima told Takahashi, "Yeah, it was kind of too early." Though the audience were sobbing at the time, the atmosphere changed because of those two, and it burst into laughter.

During the encore, there was also a segment where Takahashi read a letter from Shinoda's mother, and of course, large tears trickled down on Shinoda's cheeks again.

Shinoda has a very unique career for an AKB48 member, as she started working as a staff at a cafe in the AKB48 theater after she failed the 1st generation member audition back in 2005. Even though she was not a member, she still received high popularity among fans, and it caught the general producer, Akimoto Yasushi's attention. At the time, Akimoto set a term for Shinoda to join AKB48 in which she had to be able to remember and perform 12 songs in 4 days, and after meeting the condition, Shinoda became a member of AKB48 as the "1.5 generation member." Because of it, Shinoda has a strong sense of gratitude toward the AKB48 theater stage itself, and also toward the fans. She said to the audience, "Every time I went inside the theater as a staff, I felt the distance from the stage, and that is why I cherish this stage. There were painful times, sad times, and times I kept crying, but now that it's all in the past, I was happy overall. That's the only word."

After performing her last song "Anata ga Itekuretakara", she said with a smile, "After the graduation, I will focus on works related to fashion. I will work hard to be able to become a person who people look up to.

After all the performance was over, she gave the audience send-offs with a high five from the cafe where was her starting point.

Check out the photos from Shinoda Mariko's graduation performance at the AKB48 theater.

#1

#20

#21

#22

Source & Image(s): Oricon

Comments

· Posted July 30, 2013 @ 12:00 am

It was sad but I think its the best decision for her. Her fashion talents are vastly improving compared to her singing or dancing skills.

I do hope to see ricori became a major fashion label in the future, hahahaha...

behold, the next supermodel from Japan, Mariko Shinoda!

· Posted July 25, 2013 @ 2:42 am

It's always nice when someone makes it from the ground up. Basically, she started off as a maid at their cafe right? It's a nice feel-good rags-to-riches story. It's one of the things wotas like: rooting for someone and watching them grow up, improve, and succeed. Shinoda's case is pretty textbook then.

Hope she continues to do well.

· Posted July 24, 2013 @ 8:41 am

Aw, that last pic with the 1st gen members... :(

Good luck with your captaincy, Yuihan!

· Posted July 24, 2013 @ 5:51 am

Gonna miss you Mariko, you had a great run. Good luck.

So glad Yui is captain and not Mayu.

· Posted July 23, 2013 @ 2:56 pm

Shinoda Mariko will be missed :(

· Posted July 23, 2013 @ 1:01 pm

Gonna miss Maririn, but I know she'll move on to do great things.

· Posted July 23, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

Good luck Mariko!

· Posted July 23, 2013 @ 10:37 am

Yesterday morning I thought I had accepted it and everything would be fine, but last night I began to cry. The part in Namida no Seijanai where Kojiharu goes up to Mariko makes me cry and laugh at the same time. It's funny because Mariko can't sing because she's crying and Kojiharu is kind of laughing/smiling at her. <3 Mariko will be sorely missed. Yui will be a great Team A Captain, especially with the guidance of Takamina. Good luck in the future, Mariko, and never stop being a troll!

· Posted July 23, 2013 @ 9:03 am

Sooo sad,all the best queen mariko

· Posted July 23, 2013 @ 8:01 am

so sad :(

ganbarre Mariko

· Posted July 23, 2013 @ 12:01 am

Once again wishing Mariko lots of luck with all her future plans and activities.

· Posted July 22, 2013 @ 4:55 pm

I would shed a man tear for her, but grown ass men sobbing?  Gtfo, that's embarrassing.

Misono66
· Posted July 22, 2013 @ 11:41 pm
Whats even more sad is the fact that you actually believe what you just said.

· Posted July 22, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

I'm happy for Mariko. I know she will do well. I hope to see a music video for her graduation song soon.  I know it's a sad moment when the sing Mariko's song but every time they sing it Mariko or someone else ends up crying and can't sing their lines clearly.