Miyazaki Hayao holds a press conference regarding his retirement

September 7, 2013 @ 5:49 am

On September 6, famous animation film director Miyazaki Hayao (72) held a press conference regarding his retirement.

Miyazaki made his appearance at the press conference with cameras flashing all around him. With a smile, he said, "I'm a person who has caused many uproars saying that I would quit, but this time, I'm serious.

He continued, "Since 'Ponyo', it's taken 5 years to make 'Kaze Tachinu'. It takes 5 years. If I start thinking about the next film, 5 years isn't enough. At this age, in 3 months, I will be 73. If it takes 7 years, I will be 80. While I would like to continue working for another 10 years, I think the days of my animation films have come to an end."

SEE ALSO: Miyazaki Hayao to retire after 'Kaze Tachinu'

Regarding his future, Miyazaki commented, "I am free. As long as I can drive, I am thinking about going to the studio everyday. I feel there are still things to see while I am resting." He added, "I am thinking about doing things I've been wanting to from before. And that is not animation. I won't say it because it would be shameful if I am not able to do it."

Including the foreign media, about 600 reporters came to hear Miyazaki speak about his retirement. Studio Ghibli's producer Suzuki Toshio and president Hoshino Koji were also present at the press conference.

Producer Suzuki stated, "All things come to an end. I always thought it would be uncool to retire after a decline. Which is why this was decided when 'Kaze Tachinu' was being supported. In that case, I feel it was good." On Studio Ghibli's future, he revealed, "We are eagerly producing the story of 'Kaguyahime no Monogatari' which will be released on November 23. We are also working on a movie to release next summer."

Miyazaki's retirement was announced by Hoshino Koji during a press conference for 'Kaze Tachinu' at the Venice Film Festival on the 1st.

Source & Image: Oricon

Comments

· Posted September 8, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

so sad.

but he will always come by the studio right?

he will help them still even if he's retire

· Posted September 8, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

my buddy's sister makes $72/hour on the laptop. She has been unemployed for eight months but last month her payment was $12389 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site http://WWW.MAX47.COM

· Posted September 7, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

I still say it's not happening. If he quits ghibli is done and he knows this.

He can always do things faster.... Unless it takes 5 years to do another film no matter how much you hurry. I know nothing of how long it takes to make a quality animation film so I cant say. I suspect he's the slow type though.

I know novel authors vary in book release speed, but animation may be different. Twilight was released a book a year. The Inheritance Cycle on the other hand, took 9yrs with each part taking 3yrs. The Game of Thrones books were released every 2yrs at first and now the old man took forever on the last two (5yrs & 6yrs respectively).

Guess what I'm saying is he has 1-2 movies in him yet.

I loved Arriety.

· Posted September 7, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

You'll always be the best Hayao!!! Eternal thanks for being a genius!!

· Posted September 7, 2013 @ 10:28 am

It's difficult to swallow the fact that our iconic geniuses and legends can't live forever, but what we can do is support their decisions and may they find the happiness they've yearned for so long.